Saturday 13 August 2016

Bhatura


                                                                           


It feels nice when my kids appreciate my cooking but it feels truly wonderful when my kids' friends do too and remember it years later.I was so touched when my younger daughter's close friend recently told me how much she missed my cooking. She  was specially nostalgic about the bhaturas I used to make. So here then is the recipe for it and I do hope she will make it and maybe think of me... even as I am remembering her as I post it.

Over the years I have tried various bhatura recipes but this is the one that I have been following for the longest time and which I think is the best. The bhaturas come out fluffy and crisp with no oil sticking to it. The only drawback is that you may just end up eating more than you wanted to :)

Ingredients: 

2 1/2 cups refined flour ( maida)
1/2 cup yoghurt
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch soda bicarb
1tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp oil
Oil for frying

Method:   In a mixing bowl add flour, baking powder, soda bicarb and salt. Mix and pass through a sieve.  Mix yoghurt and sugar and add to the flour. Also add about a cup of water gradually to make a soft dough by kneading lightly.  Incorporate 2 tbsps of oil into the dough. Cover dough with a damp cloth and keep aside for an hour. Divide dough into approximately 16 portions and form balls. Cover and keep aside for a further 10 mins. Grease palms, flatten balls and roll into 5 inch rounds. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and fry on high flame till light brown.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment