Thursday 4 August 2016

Baked Cauliflower

                                                                             


Baked cauliflower had been on my mind ever since my elder daughter raved about it after having it at a friend's place! Now I seriously love baked dishes and the way my daughter described it had me craving it in a big way. I had to make it and soon!

I didn't follow any specific recipe but went by instinct. I blanched the cauliflower florets and kept them aside while I made a basic white sauce. Then I mixed the cauliflower and sauce and topped with cheese and baked it. Easy, right? But it was just so good that, even as I savored it, I longed to share the recipe.

Cauliflower is one of my favourite vegetables and cooked in a creamy white sauce it tasted absolutely heavenly. If you like baked dishes, you will definitely like this recipe... for sure!!

Ingredients: 

1 small cauliflower
1 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp cheddar cheese
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tbsp butter

Method:    Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Cut cauliflower in florets and put into a pan of salted boiling water. After a couple of minutes remove from flame and drain water. Let the cauliflower remain in a colander so any excess water flows out.

Now in a heavy bottom pan add butter. When it melts add flour and stir briefly such that the flour loses it's raw smell but is not browned. Turn off flame. Wait for a minute or two and then add milk slowly. Put it back on the flame and, using a whisk, keep stirring briskly till the mixture thickens. Turn off flame.  Add salt and pepper. Also add grated cheddar cheese and the boiled cauliflower florets.

Grease a baking dish and pour the mixture into it. Top with parmesan cheese and dot with butter. Bake till cheese melts and turns light golden. Serve hot.

                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment