Thursday 1 October 2015

Biscuit Pudding

                                               
                             


When I am having guests over and I am planning the menu, guess what I write down first? The dessert!! For me desserts are as important as the main course dishes.  There is nothing like a lovely sweet dish to round off a good meal.

This dessert recipe has been with me a long time.  Once while rummaging in my mom's recipe file I came across this dessert. I tried it out and bingo! I had a winner on my hands. Since then it has been a favourite.

Ingredients:

1 cup milk
1 egg
2 1/2 table spoon sugar
10 -12 Marie biscuits
1 table spoon cocoa powder
1/2 tea spoon instant coffee powder
1/4 cup walnuts
1 cup fresh cream
1 table spoon rum (optional)

Method: Break up the biscuits into small pieces( do not powder).  Mix the cocoa and coffee in little milk.

Whip the egg and add to milk and sugar. Stir over low flame till thick.  Add the dissolved chocolate and coffee mixture.  Remove from fire and allow to cool.  Add the rum and  walnuts( leaving some for garnish).

                                                                       

In the serving dish spread the broken biscuit pieces.

                                                                             

Pour the prepared chocolate custard mixture over it. Chill in the fridge for a while and then add the cream on top and garnish with walnuts. Replace in the fridge and let cool completely.

                                                                           


The biscuits will absorb the chocolate mixture and the pudding will firm up but not set. The rum gives that extra zing to the dish and I generally like to add it but you can skip it if you want.

If made over low flame the egg custard will not have lumps and will turn out very smooth but still it is a good idea to sieve the mixture once it's cooked. This will prevent any unpleasant lumps coming in the mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment