Tuesday 2 May 2017

Nankhatai / Indian Shortbread

                                                                             
                                                                         


Back in my school days, I had a classmate whose mother made the most divine Nankhatai.  I used to look for reasons to visit my friend, just so I could have the Nankhatai her mother made so regularly! After a while, it was not enough to just enjoy the Nankhatai at my friend's place. I was keen to learn how to make them too ( so I could have an unlimited supply at home also). With the guidance of my friend's mother  I was soon able to master this easy recipe. I still remember the thrill when I took out the first batch of  Nankhatai from the oven! I was so proud and the feeling just grew when the Nankhatai got appreciated by family and friends!  Apart from the basic cake recipe this was one of the earliest things I learnt to bake.

I had almost forgotten about this recipe. A  chance mention of it brought it to mind and I made it again after ages. I am so happy  I did. They bring back lovely memories of days gone by. And, are just as delightful as I remembered!! If  you would  also like to enjoy these delicious eggless Indian cookies, then do try this  recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1 tbsp sooji ( semolina)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup ghee
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cardamom powder

Method:   In a bowl sieve flour. Add sooji, salt, baking soda and cardamom powder. In another bowl mix together the sugar and ghee. The ghee should be at room temperature, grainy and soft but not melted. Beat till light and creamy with a whisk or electric beater. Add the dry ingredients gradually and fold it in with a spatula. Do not knead. It should just come together. Cover bowl with a cling film and place in refrigerator for an hour.

Take out the dough from refrigerator and pinch off small lemon sized balls, flatten lightly and mark a cross on top, using a knife. This helps the Nankhatai to expand while baking. Place on a baking tray and bake at 180 C in a preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes.

To check if  ready, see if you can easily shift the Nankhatai. If it is done you will be able to move it. Take out and place on a wire rack. The Nankhatai will firm up further after a while. Let them cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Important to let dough rest for sometime in refrigerator as it becomes easier to shape and also leads to better texture. If you like you can sprinkle  pista, cashew or glazed cherry on top of Nankhatai. Instead of using store bought cardamom powder or grinding it separately  I prefer to grind whole cardamom ( including shell) in the mixer with sugar and then sieving it. I feel this gives a far better flavour.


                                                                               



No comments:

Post a Comment