Thursday 25 October 2018

Rajgira Atta Halwa

                         
                                               
                                                                             


I have been keeping the biannual Navratri fast for years now but never really bothered to make any of the special recipes from the flours permissible during fasts. I would mostly make do with fruits and milk shakes or at the most Sabudana Khichri or Sabudana Kheer  ( recipes already shared on blog). This time round I decided to try some new fasting recipes, hoping they would bring about some variety and newness to my diet during the fasting period. At the back of my mind the thought was also there that I could share some of these recipes on my blog for others like me who had so far not tried these recipes.

Rajgira Atta Halwa is one recipe I tried out this Navratri. It came out amazingly good the very first time I tried it out. Maybe because I wasn't really expecting it to be so easy and delicious, I was truly delighted at the results. During Navratri  I made it several times and each time it came out well. So, not a fluke then!!  I enjoyed it so much that I  will probably make it now even on non fasting days. Another reason I am not going to forget about Rajgira until the next fasting day, and will make sure I  include it as part of my regular diet, is because of it's numerous health benefits.

Frankly, I knew next to nothing about Rajgira or Ramdana, as it is popularly known in North India, till recently.  After trying out a few Rajgira flour based recipes I read up about it and was surprised to learn that Rajgira is an ancient grain, known to man since thousands of years. It's nutrient profile is credited with so many positives that it is gradually gaining acceptance as a health food. Imagine that!! Not only is it gluten free and high in anti oxidants, it is also rich in protein, calcium, fibre, iron and other micro nutrients.

 Ingredients:

1/2 cup Rajgira Atta ( Amaranth Flour)
1/4 cup sugar
3 table spoon ghee
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 tea spoon cardamom powder
1 table spoon almond slivers

Method:  Put water to heat in a pan. Meanwhile heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan and add Rajgira Atta. Stir on very low flame till the flour changes colour and turns golden. At this stage it will emit a nice aroma and ooze ghee too. Gradually add the warm water and keep stirring. Once the water is almost absorbed, add sugar and cardamom powder. Stir till the mixture leaves sides. Transfer to serving dish and garnish with almond slivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment