Wednesday 31 October 2018

Beetroot Chops

                                                                           
                                                                           



I never realized it till I started writing this food blog but, so many of my pet recipes have stories attached to them. I am sure it must be the same with everyone. If you think about it you will find  some recipes connected to a particular incident, others to a period in time, a few to specific persons and so on. Each such recipe becomes even more precious as it is interwoven with happy memories.

During his childhood my husband's family lived next door to a Bengali family in Ranchi....the Duttas. Although I didn't ever get to meet her, I was told about Mrs Dutta's delicious cooking by different family members right from the time I got married. From all accounts she was an incredibly talented cook and Bengali dishes were her forte. Of all the wonderful dishes that were given shape in her kitchen, my husband remembers her Beetroot Chops with the most fondness. Crisp potato covering on the outside with a filling of beet, cashew, raisins and crisp onion...it was a treat he never got tired of eating or ever forgot.

As my husband's family moved away from Ranchi long before my marriage I could not ask Mrs Dutta herself for the recipe which my husband so loved. Failing that, I searched recipe books and asked other Bengalis I knew for the recipe in the early years of marriage and  later, as the internet opened up new possibilities, I went through renowned cookery sites. In the process I looked up many recipes and tried out  several versions of beetroot chops over the years but none seemed to fit the memory my husband had of Mrs Dutta's recipe. Finally, based on his description, this recipe evolved through trial and error. This is it then! As close as it gets to the original masterpiece. And, it is really, really good...and easy too. I don't do complicated :)

Beetroot Chops are a well known snack in Bengal. It is often prepared in homes and is also available at roadside eateries. I am told it's popularity rises during the Durga Puja festival when folks consider it a must to savour this tasty snack while visiting food stalls set up near Puja pandals.

Ingredients: 

2 potatoes, boiled, mashed
1 slice of bread, soaked in water, squeezed dry
1 table spoon rice flour
1/2 tea spoon red chilly powder
1/2 tea spoon cumin powder
1/2 tea spoon dried mango powder
Salt to taste
Breadcrumbs as required
Oil to fry

Filling: 1 small beetroot, boiled, cut in small pieces
1 table spoon raisins
1 table spoon cashew nuts, chopped
1 small onion, sliced, crisp fried
1/2 tea spoon chat masala powder

Method:  Boil potatoes, peel skin and mash. Boil beetroot, peel skin, cut in small pieces. Slice onion and fry in oil till crisp and golden. Remove and keep aside on absorbent paper. Chop cashew nuts. Soak raisins in water for few minutes, drain water and dry. Spread bread crumbs on a plate.

Place the boiled and mashed potatoes in a bowl. Add salt, red chilly powder, cumin powder and dried mango powder. Also add rice flour and a bread slice, soaked in water and squeezed dry. Mix everything well. To make the filling...in a separate bowl mix boiled and cubed beetroot with crisply fried onion, chopped cashew nuts, raisins and chat masala powder

To prepare the beetroot chops, take a lemon sized piece of potato mixture in your palm and flatten it. Place a tea spoon of filling on the flattened potato mixture and then close it, forming a roll. Transfer to the plate containing  breadcrumbs. Turn it around so all sides are coated evenly. Make others in a similar fashion.

Heat plenty of oil in a heavy bottom wide pan. When oil is medium hot add the beetroot chops one or two at a time. When one side is browned, flip to the other side. Remove when the chops are evenly browned. Serve hot with chutney or ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment