Wednesday 21 February 2018

Tomato And Peanut Chutney


                                                                                 



If you like the taste of peanuts then you will love this chutney! The combination of tomato and peanuts is truly sensational.  It is easy to make and needs very few ingredients. It is currently my favourite chutney.

I have to thank my friend and neighbour Purnima for this lovely recipe.  I had this amazing chutney at her place sometime back.  She had invited me, along with several other ladies, to a puja (prayer gathering) at her place. This chutney was served, as also a whole array of dishes, after the function concluded. At first I thought it was  the Tomato Onion Chutney that I am so fond of, ( I have shared the recipe of that earlier), but then I realised it was vastly different. That day of course I could not bother Purnima as she had other guests to attend but, the very next day I visited her and she gave me the recipe.
                                                                       
Ingredients:

3 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup peanuts, roasted
1 green chilly, chopped
Salt to taste
3 tea spoon oil
1/2 tea spoon mustard seeds
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Few curry leaves

Method:    Chop tomatoes and green chilly. Dry roast the peanuts and when slightly cool, pry off the skin.

In a pan heat 2 tea spoon oil and add the chopped tomatoes and green chilly. Stir till tomatoes are tender. Allow to cool. Meanwhile, grind the roasted peanuts to a powder, in a mixer. Add the cooled tomatoes and blend again till smooth. Transfer to a serving dish. Add salt and mix. Now prepare the tempering by heating a tea spoon of oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds and when they start spluttering add curry leaves and asafoetida. Pour over the prepared Tomato And Peanut Chutney. I love to have it with Idli or Dosa but it goes well with just about everything.

Instead of green chilly you can use whole dry red chilly. Grind it with the peanuts and then add tomatoes. If you like it really hot then you can use both red and green chilly! If the tomatoes are not sour, add a tea spoon or two of tamarind paste.


No comments:

Post a Comment