Monday 29 January 2018

Kenya Style Cabbage


                                                                           


I make this recipe so often and it is so well integrated into our regular meals that it is hard to remember at times that it is not an Indian recipe that I grew up eating...that it is actually a recipe from Kenya.

I learnt this amazing recipe during my stay in Kenya. We had just moved to Nairobi and were still based at a hotel while we looked around for a suitable house, when I was invited for lunch. I was very pleased with the invitation as I looked forward to some home cooked food after eating hotel fare since several days. My hostess, on my arrival at her place, asked me if I would be okay with Kenyan food as she planned to make Kenya Style Cabbage and Ugali (maize flour cooked with water). I was more than happy to try something new and said it was absolutely fine with me.  I looked on as she swiftly got to work and within a short while the meal was ready.  My first taste of Kenyan fare had me bewitched! So many years later I still remember that cabbage dish as  one of the finest I had.

This recipe uses very few ingredients and takes barely any time to prepare but tastes really great....light and flavourful. My kids, who are not very fond of cabbage, loved this recipe. I hope they, and others too, will try out this recipe and enjoy it as much as I do.

Ingredients: 

1/2 medium size cabbage, finely shredded
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
3 tbsp oil
Salt to taste

Method:  Wash cabbage well and then cut finely.  Slice onion. Cut long strips of tomato. Chop fresh coriander leaves.

In a heavy bottom pan heat oil and add onion. Stir for a minute or two till it softens. Do not brown it. Now add cabbage and stir continuously till the water from the cabbage dries up. Add tomato and salt. Stir for a couple of minutes to allow tomato to soften a little and then add chopped coriander. Mix it in and close flame.

Make sure not to over cook the cabbage. It should retain a little crunch. And don't stint on the coriander leaves. Add plenty of it as they are not merely a garnish here but a vital ingredient that provides a whole lot of flavour.

                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment