Saturday 23 December 2017

Jimikand Matar Ki Sabzi / Indian Yam And Peas Curry


                                                                         



This vegetable never featured at my parents dining table. Nor did it show up at my in laws, friends or relatives places. So my knowledge about it was a total blank until several years after my marriage. It was sheer chance that I happened to try it out for the first time.

We were posted in Shimla  and it was peak winter and we were literally snowed under. I had run short of veggies and our regular vegetable shop, which was situated right next to where the steps leading to our apartment ended, was closed. Due to bad weather the shopkeeper couldn't make it. I wrapped up well and trudged to the next shop at a little distance down the lane.  None of the vegetables there grabbed my attention as they didn't look fresh. But I was reluctant to leave without picking up anything. Sensing my indecision the shopkeeper, who was loath to let the few customers he was getting leave without buying, suggested I try out jimikand. I told him I didn't know how to cook it. In full salesman mode he tried to convince me that cooking it was very easy ....just peel, cut cubes, fry in oil and then add it to a nice spicy gravy of onions and tomatoes. He added, " Madam ji, you will forget mutton curry, once you taste this!!" I was not too sure of that happening but it did  intrigue me enough to give it  a trial. That very evening I prepared it and, to my delight, my family loved it.

Ingredients: 

2 cups jimikand  / suran (yam), cut in cubes
1/2 cup green peas
2 onions or 1cup, chopped
1 tomato
5-6 cloves of garlic
1 inch ginger
4 tbsp oil + to fry
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp garam masala powder ( whole spice powder)
Whole spices: 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 small bay leaf, 3 cloves, 1 black cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon, 5-6 black pepper corn
Coriander leaves to garnish

Method:  Grease your hands before you cut jimikand to avoid possible itchiness.  Peel and cut jimikand in cubes, wash and place in a sieve to drain out water. Cut onions and blend half of it with tomato, ginger and garlic. Finely chop coriander leaves.

                                                                         


Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and fry the jimikand cubes on medium heat till they turn brownish. Remove and keep aside.  Take out excess oil from pan leaving about 4 tbsp. Add the whole spices- cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon and pepper corn. When they begin to splutter add finely chopped onion.

                                                                               

Saute until the onion begins to change colour.  Add the tomato, onion, ginger and garlic paste. Also add the spice powders- red chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.

                                                                           


Stir till oil separates from the mixture.

                                                                           


Add the fried jimikand cubes, green peas, garam masala powder and mix well.  Transfer to a pressure cooker and add 2 cups of warm water.  After the first whistle, lower the flame and let it cook for 5 minutes. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.

In case the tomato is not sour enough add a tbsp of tomato paste or yoghurt while preparing gravy. Add more warm water in case the gravy becomes too thick after you pressure cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment