Saturday 10 June 2017

Spinach Corn Quesadillas

                                                                         


As both my kids live far away, it is a huge treat for us when they visit. My younger daughter was with us recently and it was truly special having her. A major highlight of the visit of course were mealtimes. I always feel food is not just something we need to sustain ourselves. It is so much more! It reflects the joy felt while cooking, the enjoyment  while eating together, and  the wonderful memories that are created in the process, which are savoured long afterwards. Even before my daughter reached, I began planning recipes to make for her, and then stocking up on all possible ingredients for various dishes. I wanted to pack in as many recipes as I could in the short time available. Apart from all the old favourites I  longed to make my daughter try out some new recipes that I had learned.

My daughter was mostly keen to have Indian food as that is what she misses. One evening however I insisted she try these quesadillas which is a fairly recent addition to my recipe book. She loved them! I hope she will try it herself too as it is fairly simple and a fun recipe with the crispy crust and cheesy filling.

Ingredients:

For the tortillas

1 1/2 cup refined flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp butter
2 tsp salt ( or as per taste)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup warm water

For the filling

2 cups chopped spinach
1/2 cup corn, whole kernel
1/2 cup mushroom, sliced
Salt as per taste
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese

Method:   To make the tortillas: Sieve the refined and whole wheat flour and add salt, butter and baking powder. Knead using warm water till a firm dough is formed. Cover and rest the dough for a little while. Pinch off a piece of the dough and, using a rolling pin, roll out into a  circle of approx 6 inch diameter. Place on a warm tawa ( flat pan/ skillet) and cook lightly on both sides. Make the remaining tortillas in a similar way.

To make the filling: Heat olive oil and butter in a pan and add finely chopped garlic. After a few seconds add spinach. Cook till all the water dries up. Add corn and mushroom and season with salt and pepper. Grate cheddar and mozzarella cheese and keep aside.

To assemble: Place a tortilla on warm tawa. Spread the spinach, corn and mushroom filling on tortilla. Cover with the grated cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Put another tortilla on top and press down lightly. Cook on both sides adding little oil or butter for a crispy finish. Serve on a plate, cut in wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment