Wednesday 29 March 2017

Paneer Jalfrezi


                                                                       


I may no longer  be able to cook for my kids, as they live so far away, but I continue to  take an active interest in what they are cooking or eating. When I speak to them ( which is like almost daily), one question that I invariably ask ( much to their irritation at times) is " what did you cook?" It gives me a lot of satisfaction that, despite busy work schedules, they find time to cook healthy meals for themselves. While posting this recipe I recalled that my younger daughter often makes this recipe. The reason? Because " it can't go wrong"!!

Paneer Jalfrezi is a regular on a lot of Indian restaurant menus, although the way it is made could differ vastly. You will find so many different variations of this dish that it may leave you bewildered and wondering which is the true recipe! If you like, here is what you can do... pick your favourite version and stick with it. That is what I have done! I don't remember where I got this recipe but it has been with me since forever. It is light, quick and full of flavour. And yes, it never disappoints!!
                                                                           
Ingredients:

400 gms paneer (cottage cheese)
2 medium capsicum
2 medium tomatoes
2 inch ginger
2 onions
2 dry red chillies
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp vinegar
Salt to taste
1 tsp whole spice powder ( garam masala powder)
Coriander leaves to garnish

Method:   Peel onions and cut into half horizontally. Cut each half into four parts and separate the layers. Peel ginger and cut into julienne. Cut tomatoes and capsicum into half,  remove seeds and cut long slices. Finely chop coriander leaves. Cut paneer into finger sized pieces and place in lukewarm water.

Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add cumin seeds. When they begin to crackle add halved red chillies, ginger julienne and sliced onion. Saute for a minute. Add red chilly powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and add capsicum pieces. After a minute add paneer and toss.  Add salt and vinegar. Let it cook for a minute or two and finally add tomatoes and garam masala powder. Mix and close. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment