Friday 24 June 2016

Russian Cabbage Soup

                                                                     



What is it about winter that one immediately starts craving soup? Okay, so we do not have much of a winter here in Dar es Salaam but the current pleasant spell is what goes for winter here and naturally I want to make the most of it and top of my list are soups.

I had tasted Russian Cabbage Soup a long while back and was of a mind to try it but, after looking at several recipes on the net, I was not sure about it as most recipes mentioned beef or beef stock while I wanted to stick to vegetarian. Nevertheless I gave it a go and was delighted with how great my vegetarian version of the soup tasted.It is hearty, nourishing and yet so light with no thickeners like cornflour added to it.The slight thickening happens naturally as the soup gently simmers for a long time. I loved it and I am sure so will you. Give it a try!

Ingredients: 

3 cups of cabbage
1 potato
1 onion
1 carrot
2 tomatoes
1 tsp or 3-4 cloves garlic
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
2 bay leaf
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp vinegar
6 cups water
Garnish: Dill leaves and 1 tbsp sour cream

Method:    Shred cabbage. Finely chop onion and garlic. Peel and cut potato in very small pieces. Cut carrot lengthwise and then cut in fine slices. Blanch tomatoes ( cook in boiling water for few minutes), remove skin and blend. Chop dill leaves for garnish.

In a big, heavy bottom pan add butter and when it melts add bay leaf, onion and garlic. There is no need to brown the onion. Just saute  for couple of minutes till it is translucent and then add carrot and cabbage. Stir till cabbage wilts and softens.Add water. When water comes to boil add tomato pulp and potato. Lower heat, cover and cook for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper and vinegar. Once the vegetables are tender, remove bay leaf, adjust seasonings and serve hot. Garnish with sour cream and dill.

I didn't have dill leaves so I made do with fresh coriander leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment